Mary and I decided not to go to Shipshewana during my two-day vacation this week. Instead, we stayed here in Fort Wayne and were tourists in our own hometown. And here are the tweets I would have tweeted, if I had been tweeting:
- At Hyde Brothers Booksellers, I discovered that the books I love the most — and the ones I hate the most — are all in the Sociology shelf.
- I wanted a bubble tea at Firehouse Tea & Coffee Cafe, but they were out of “bubbles.” They were cooking more tapioca, but we went with a simpler iced tea instead.
- Pio Market on East State, according to a kid inside, is pronounced “Pee-oh.” He may be wrong.
- We went for pizza at 800 Degrees to cool off. We also saw Tommy and Heather Schoegler!
- We checked into Stay Inn Suites on Lima Road near the interstate. If you stay there, you get free access to Spiece Fieldhouse!
- For dinner, we went to a nice little Greek restaurant called Maza Grille. Delicious! Mary had a little lamb.
- We went to play darts at Break & Run on Goshen Avenue, but despite my call checking to make sure they’d be open, we were greeted with a CLOSED sign. So we ended up grabbing something at Starbucks and catching up on some fun reading.
- The next day, after a filling complimentary breakfast at the Stay Inn, we ended up browsing some more bookstores — Barnes & Noble and Every Other Book, which, as Mary said, has a wonderful homeschooling section.
- Thanks to a Groupon, we spent the afternoon bowling six games at the 56-lane Pro Bowl West. I’ll spare you the details (rimshot!), except that we later had achy muscles in places that we didn’t expect.
- And we finished with a great stir-fry supper at one of my favorite spots,The Flat Top Grill.
Mary and I are considering making tourist in our hometown an annual event!