If you don’t have time to read Newsweek’s cover story on how a reporter discovered that the Bible actually supports gay marriage when you squint really hard, here are the main points:
- The Bible’s examples of marriage are horrendous polygamous slave-owners.
- The Bible “offers inspiration and warning on the subjects of love, marriage, family and community.”
- The Bible doesn’t explicitly say marriage is between one man and one woman.
- The Bible doesn’t say David and Jonathan were homosexual lovers, but it’s fun to imagine they were.
- The Apostle Paul was tough on homosexuality.
- One guy the reporter knows says Paul was actually talking about something else. Violent people, maybe.
- The Bible “provides conceptual shelter for anti-Semites.”
- Thankfully, newsmagazines have no similar problems mishandling Biblical texts.
- Despite what Newsweek thinks, almost all churches say that gay marriage is sinful.
- Newsweek does not own a phone book, and thus cannot call any of these churches for comment.
- When the Bible says something you want to do is wrong, then the Bible is outdated.
- When the Bible says something you want to do is right, then the Bible is beautiful.
Hope that helps.